Sunday, December 5, 2010

last monstar trax post from PUKE

LAST FEW SONGS Y'ALL, albums coming sooooon like Oprah to Australia.

Hot Chip: One Life Stand



If you have been listening closely, you will already know that Hot Chip are totally romancetic (see: Boy From School, Wrestlers, etc.) but this album was jus full of swoony love jams. And this is the best of them. What makes this song win the most for me is that chilling backup vocal in the chorus that's all "keep on feeling!" If you play this loud enough you will probably feel some sort of emotion, that's always(?) good.

Also, I saw Hot Chip live this year. I drank too much wine before hand so all I can really remember of it is that someone farted in the crowd. Also, they were really loud and aggressive sounding.

Arcade Fire: The Suburbs



I dunno, this is a bit of a no-brainer. I don't reeeeeally love Arcade Fire as much as I should... the whole "epic!" thing gets kind of tiring. And I think I have listened to The Suburbs album all the way through approximately once. This song, though. If you haven't listened to it.. I don't even know. It's pretty affecting. It's probably the single greatest song the band have come up with. They totally nailed everything.
Sometimes I can't believe it, I'm moving past the feeling...
I can't even watch the video, it's too much at once.

Vampire Weekend: Diplomat's Son



Remember when Contra came out and everyone lost their shit for a solid week and then promptly forgot about them? Me too! Except this song has come back to me every now and then this year. It's manages to take the cute overload that is Vampire Weekend and tone it down into a dinky 6 minute thing with an M.I.A. sample and a story about stoner boners. I don't know. I just love everything about it. Especially the bad 'breakdown' that occurs at about the 3:10 mark. And all the weird not-really-tempo-changes tempo changes that they do just by adding/taking away bass drum bits.
If you had told me last year that I would see Vampire Weekend in Townsville, I would have feared you. But I did. What the fauxk. They are fantastic live. And you get to see Rostam and Ezra, so I recommend.

FINALLY,
I left this one for last because I think, I just think that maybe, just maybe, it's my all-time super chart-topping favourite track of 2010.

Kanye West featuring six thousand amazing people (Bon Iver, Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj): MONSTER



My favourite parts of this song:
-Bon Iver singing at the beginning and end of the song and it being completely irrelevant to everything that happens in between
-That evil, evil beat
-Jay-Z telling us he is a big monster.. and then revealing his weakness is LOVE!
-Kanye asking "Have you ever had sex with a Pharoooooah? aaaaaah I put the pussy in a sarcophagus!"
-Nicki. Fucking. Minaj. "Pink wig, thick ass, give 'em whiplash!"
-The fact that Kanye West managed to make "gossip, gossip, nigger just stop it!" get stuck in my head multiple times in the last month.

This is a 10/10 song. It's angry, chaotic, and technically impressive. Winner.

1 comment: